Our baby led weaning story

This is a blog about some of our trials and successes while weaning our little girl the BLW way. Come and have a read and please feel free to leave your comments. x

Thursday 18 April 2013

These times are sent to try us

The last few days feel like a bit of a set back.

On Sunday we had a brilliant food day with Sunday lunch at my Mum's (Baby Bean ate a bit of sausage, loads of veg and massive handfuls of buttery mash) and then a mild green Thai curry for tea. She ate really well then too and SLEPT ALL NIGHT! I know the two may not have been connected but they still added up to a Very Good Day. :-)

However, it would appear that Bean ate most of her week's food in one day, because since then she's just picked at her food.......and then thrown it.


This is Bean with tomato pasta - her all-time favourite. There are about 10 baby pasta shells on the tray. She's eaten maybe that many already. Usually she would eat a whole (baby) bowl of standard penne or fusilli, let alone mini shells. This week, none of what is on her tray here went into her mouth. The open mouth that you think is for her to put food into? That's actually the beginning of an almighty shriek!

Because this is how we've spent mealtimes over the last two days:
Put Bean into her chair and put her bib on.
Give Bean her food.
Bean picks it up quickly and eagerly and stuffs it into her mouth.
Bean chews.....stops.....SHRIEKS.......SHRIEKS again....eats a bit more.....SHRIEKS......throws stuff.....eats a bit.....SHRIEKS.....

You get the picture?

I'd think it was a get-me-down noise, but she keeps eating.
Maybe a my-teeth-hurt noise, but if I start singing/dancing/reading to her she's all smiles.
Maybe she's after attention, so I pay attention.
Maybe she thinks it's a game if I pay attention, so I applaud when she's quiet and studiously empty the dishwasher if she shrieks.

Ultimately it feels like mealtimes are becoming a battle so I clear it away and give her some fruit and yoghurt (which she eats happily, although in smaller quantities than normal) and then let her play while I tidy up.

So I'm not really sure what's going on at the moment! I'm thinking she's just not really that hungry at the moment and that, quite possibly, a couple of really good meals have quite genuinely given her enough calories for a few days (with some little top ups). But it's trying and confidence-shaking. And I have to admit to having spoon fed her dessert today (well half of it - the other half she licked off her fingers and tried to drink from the tub!!).

So my plan? Very small meals tomorrow. And when (if) the shrieking starts we will abandon ship and let her play. If she wants more food she'll let me know and if we achieve a happy mealtime we can count it as a successful plan.

Watch this space....

No comments:

Post a Comment